On September 16th Mckay, Dabit, Hayana and Geek’s Louie will visit Maryland (USA) to attend the 40th Korean Festival of Maryland. We had the opportunity to have a chat with Mckay ahead of this event and this is how it went.
- Hello and thank you for granting us this interview! Could you please introduce yourself to your fans?
What’s up guys, my name is, McKay and I am a singer/songwriter in Korea.
- You became famous through the TV show K-pop Star 2 as part of the crew Raccoon Boys. How do you remember that experience?
Kpop Star was a great experience. I got to know myself much more going through this. It pushed me to my limits and made me realize that success does not come easy. It’s an experience I would never forget.
- You then debuted solo in 2015 with the single “Angel 2 Me” composed for you by the famous ballads singer Shin Seung Hoon through the “Neo-Artist” project. Can you tell us something more about this amazing collaboration
Yes, it was such an honor for Shin Seung Hoon to write and produce my debut song. On top of that, he got, Jeff Bernat to feature on it. So the whole project was just amazing and speechless.
- What do you think has changed since 2015?
Definitely my voice. Looking back on at my old videos, I would sometiimes cringe because of how I sang. Looking at it myself I can tell I have improved dramatically.
- You have released a mixtape on July 23rd with Jae of Day6 and Majorcode titled “Natural”. How was this collaboration born? Can you tell us something about the making of process?
Well, Jae first invited me to guest at one of his concerts and we wanted to make a special song just for that concert. After we performed the song the reactions were much better than expected. So we decided to just release the song for the fans.
- You are going to the US with Dabit, Hayana and Geek’s Louie for the 40th Korean Festival of Maryland on September 16th. How does it feel to meet your American fans? What do you expect from this experience?
I am very excited to meet my American fans. I am always excited to meet fans from different countries. It just makes me feel so much more thankful to see people from across the world love my music. Im hoping this upcoming concert will be fun and the fans will get to know me a lot more.
- We are a month into the second half of the year. Do you have any project in store for the future months? Anything you can share with us
I cant share too much, but I do have special collaborations coming up and also a couple singles coming up so be on the look out for that.
- How do you see yourself (musically and personally) in 10 years?
I would like to see myself on stage in front of thousands of people. Touring all around the world and literally living off of just music.
- If you could collaborate with another artist from the Korean music scene, who would it be and why?
I would love to collaborate with, Zico. I think he is one of the leading figures for this generation and I am a huge fan of his music.
- Thank you once again for answering our questions. Could you please leave a final message to Japako Music readers?
Hello Japako Music readers! Thank you guys for tuning in and I hope you guys got to know me a little more. Thank you for all the support and I will be coming out with new material soon so make sure to show some love and i can’t wait to see you all soon!
Interview by Martina